Monday, January 11, 2010

Best Christmas Present EVER!


This is my little sister Franki Kelly, who I would say is one of the cutest young girls I know. About 3 months ago Franki was just an average 18 year old girl. Her routine each week included riding 3 of her performance horses, riding 2 colts, working at the race track for a vet, goat tying, breakaway roping, homeschooling, and rodeo's on the weekend. Occasionally, Franki would hang out with friends but most of her life is tied to the small family ranch. In August an old friend of Franki's invited her to come to church with her. Franki agreed and started making this apart of her weekly routine. She would drive an hour into Mesa to go to Church with her friend each Sunday. Then Franki started to really like what she was learning and decided that she probably had a better knowledge of the Mormon's than her friend. Luckily that same month her/our family once again started have home teachers. Explanation/Reason: My step dad was baptized 36 years ago and has not been to church since that time except for my baptism and Autumn's blessing but his name is still on the records. Anyhow, one of the home teachers turned out to be an old classmate of Franki's. Lane Burgess is the fine young gentleman that got the ball rolling. He invited Franki to mutual, then the Temple lights, and game night which eventually led to the missionaries coming over for her first dissuasion. Franki actually did not tell me about the first couple of discussions for one reason or another but eventually the "church" dialogue became very open and we spent hours on the phone talking about the gospel.
Long story short my little sister got baptized January 1, 2010. Isn't that an awesome date. We figure she was probably one of the first newest members of the church in 2010. I am so proud of her for not only deciding to be baptized but being such an awesome beacon of light to those around her. Her example has touched my mom, my step dad, and little 9 year old brother who has now been to church 3 weeks in a row. Her boyfriend, Choc, who is less active bore his testimony at her baptism. His testimony was so powerful almost everyone had a tear in their eye. He said that angles were singing in heaven that day. He was pretty emotional the whole night, he was once again having the spirit testify to him the truths that he once knew. Franki also brought two of her non member friends to eat dinner at our house with the missionaries that MY MOM fed, crazy. WOW she just amazes me!
I am so grateful to see her life changing in so many ways because of her knowledge of the Savior. I am grateful for her example in bringing others to the gospel. I am humbled by her knowledge and desire to gain more knowledge about the scriptures.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jamie said...

That is great! I was so excited to read this post! I bet you are sooo happy right now. (and your sister as well!) Its the coolest thing when people you love accept the gospel!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness!! That is so wonderful! I can't believe Frankie is so old now, she is so beautiful and looks so much like you:) That is just wonderful - I'm so happy for you and your family. Love ya!

janae said...

Oh, Tara!! That is so wonderful!!!!! I'm so happy for you. Congratulations to your sister!

Brant and Jana said...

Congratulations Franki! Pictures are so cute.

Kristi said...

What a precious gift and a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it!!! So exciting!