Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Livin' in the Projects Part 2

Look what we have made:

Big pile of Juniper,

bigger pile of Aspen,

two blue eyed blond cuties,
whole grain bread w/oatmeal,
peach and strawberry freezer jelly,

and 21 quarts of pears and 6 quarts of peaches

Tis the season for cheap, beautiful, and delicious fruit. My friend Jamie and I have been busy little bees canning, freezing and kneading. Jamie is such a wonderful inspiration to me. I have learned so many new skills with and from her that I'm pretty sure one day we could open our own restaurant and daycare, but wait we already do run these business right out of our home, that is without getting PAID in monetary value like a chef or teacher. We love our jobs though, especially when the kids start saying the dandiest things. On Monday the Morriss' came over for Family Home Evening and canning. Before they got here Autumn was out on the porch waiting for her BFF to come. She had her cell phone in hand and was "talking" to her BFF. Autumn was making sure she could get to our 'new' house on time, so she gave her directions. "M we live on Black Spur Rd then turn at the 2 green trash can" Autumn says. Now these directions are made up, but in her conversation she used the real street and landmark we use to give directions, it was way cute. The more she picks up the more I question the time I actually spend on the phone talking. Anyhow, Jamie taught me this new recipe for bread that has oatmeal, whole grain flour, olive oil, and honey. The bread only needs one rise, pure awesomeness! If anybody wants to try out the recipe I am sure we can trade for some chocolate or something chocolate, just let me know (my wellness challenge is over this week so wait until then). The recipe yields 5 loaves which is perfect for about a week and half here at the Larsen's. AND I think Isaac really likes it, even though he swears he is not a nuts and bolts bread eater (to bad his mom and wife are health nuts). So my plan is to put my Aunt Virgina's bread recipe and Jamie's recipe together or switch off every other week.
Isaac as you can see has also been very busy with his new hobby as a lumberjack. His goal is to fill our entire stud pen with wood and there is no doubt in my mind the way that man works that it will get done. Wood cutting has really become a family event. We like to all hop in daddy's big blue truck with a picnic and blanket. Daddy works like crazy cutting and hauling the wood and we enjoy the beautiful forest. Last week Isaac let me try the 'beast' out for myself, the chainsaw that is. Vrooooooooom! I almost cut my leg of starting it and then it felt like I had a hold of a wild cheetah. So much power in just a little machine. I don't think we will be trading roles any time soon, but it sure was fun to contribute two branches to the pile.
Thanks Scott for the awesome power tool.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow! You remind me of the ants busily preparing for winter. . . and you also make me feel a tad bit like a slacker - I don't do any of those things.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

You guys have been quite the busy little bees. Keep up the good work!

The Morriss Family said...

Umm, I have another jam recipe when you are ready for it! I am so glad that Isaac likes the bread. (It's not mine, it's Monica Harmons's bread. But I sure love it so it is pretty much the only bread I make.)

Tera, your challenge is over this weekend? My diet is over on Thursday. For Saturday's Women's Conference let's get a group together and celebrate after the conference!!!

Melissa said...

Ok Tera, why am I just NOW finding your blog!? I am so glad I found it now so I can catch up on all the crazy fun things you are doing! You are quite the homemaker! Sheesh, I will gladly give you a delicious chocolate recipe for a yummy bread one! Your kids are just too cute - where are you living? The projects? ha Love you-

Kristi said...

Quick question - is there a reason you have your strawberry jam in glass jars and peach in plastic? I do both in plastic and I hope that is ok.... ;)
You look all prepared for winter!!!! Yay!

The Barb Chronicles said...

Hey.. do you know how to get permits to cut down trees for fire wood? David and I want to cut some before the "serious" cold kicks in.