Monday, September 7, 2009

RM-Real Mormon

7 long years ago, 4 months after I had been baptized, I came up to NAU and attended the Institute of Religion. I was assigned to Fourth Ward, in the Flagstaff Stake going to church amongst the most beautiful Molly Mormons looking for an RM. I then was invited to FHE (different that is from FFA). Now if you are a member of the church your thinking oh yeah the Institute, Ward, Stake, Molly/Jack Mormon, FHE, and RM those are all familiar terms. BUT if you have just recently been baptized you are in for a new vocabulary lesson. So in my mind I'm thinking INSTITUTE, wow that sounds like the psychiatric wing of the hospital and WARD is the floor of the hospital you're on or the prison WARDen. AND the STAKE building, isn't that where you eat steak, like meat? AND now those Molly and Jack Mormon's, were those real people? I don't know any Mollys or Jacks. Then there is the RM. What in the world is an RM and why are all these beautiful Molly Mormons chasing, writing, dating, marrying, and dreaming about them. It was like this craze for 'A' or 'THE' RM. So I got to thinking, now that I am a Mormon I better start chasing, writing, dating, dreaming, or marrying an RM. BUT wait is an RM like a unicorn or a good parking spot at the mall, does it really exist?
I then started to come up with words to fit the acronym like Real Mormon, Real MAN, Rambling Man, Rifle Marksmen (you know Arizona Mormons and hunting), Registered Masonry, Real Macoy, Regal Man, Registered or Retired Militant and the list goes on and on. Anyhow, I have obviously come a long way since then and guess what? I am sending out my first missionary tomorrow. Now he is really not mine, not even by blood, but my baby brother-in-law is going on a mission to Macon, Georgia. I am so proud and thankful for his testimony and dedication to serving the Lord. I know that he will be on the Lord's errand preaching the gospel to all those Jack Mormons, even if he has to leave a nice Molly Mormon.


I had to post a Happy picture since those Larsen's make pictures look like a real chore. Joe really is excited to serve a mission! In his farewell talk he said that he had watched each of his brothers come and go on missions and it was finally his turn. What a faithful young lad!
Doesn't Pop's grass look AMAZING! Who knew you could have such a beautiful lawn in Winslow, Arizona!

Now, since we are on the subject of Weird Mormon Culture what about all that Jello, Potato Pearls, and Cream of Chicken Soup?

6 comments:

Brant and Jana said...

Tera you are a crack up! I thought you picked up those all those Jell-o wonders at the temple!

Katie said...

Super cute blog Tera. I really, really want to know how to make those cute little girl dresses, so I will be bugging you.

The Morriss Family said...

I think that the Beehives, Miamaids, and Laurels would love to eat your potato pearl casserole and shredded carrot jello. Then you all can go to the temple and do baptisms for the dead. Love the post! I know that the LDS culture takes awhile to get used to. You have adjusted very well, jello and all. :)

Sharon said...

Funny - it definitely is a different lingo us Mormons use. Sometimes I think we should hand out a glossary to new members :)

Anonymous said...

funny! it's a good thing the gospel is simple and understandable. all that lingo stuff is a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

So funny! Happy to see your family is doing well and enjoying extended family nearby. Aren't missions a wonderful thing for boys?!