
My dad is from the old school; like he lived through World War 2 and the Depression. Think birth date in 1930's! He is 76 years young! A year ago I did a video history of his life! I was so excited to hear about the good ol' days. I loved all the old photos and clothes he pulled out. After all the stories and memories he said one thing "I have lived a long good life, but when people talk about the good ol' days like they're something to be missed and brought back again, they have it all wrong. The good ol' days were nothing but old days of the past were we worked hard and long. There is many who went with out and to know what the world has discovered now, it seems as if I lived in the stone ages."
I have thought about that statement from time to time and wondered how could that be? I mean the music and the clothes were soooooo cool. There was no pressure to get big screen TV's, cell phones, or minivans. Life was simple. How cool would that be?

I have always thought I actually was better suited for the 1800's since I don't own a big screen, cell phone, or a minivan. I love rocks, gardening, horses, ol' trucks, and cowboy boots. I love my little house on the prairie and enjoy a days worth of hard work outside. I like to chop and stack wood. I don't mind digging a hole to plant trees, shoveling snow, or picking weeds.
THEN it happened!
My perspective was put back into 21st century reality.
Isaac got the flu, the water heater went out, and it snowed!
After the 10th boiling pot of water on the stove for dishes, laundry and baths, hauling 6 wheel barrels of wood up to the house, tending to the babes, and a sick husband I realized I LIKE and depend on the conveniences of our modern world.
Hallelujah for HOT WATER and my husband!
4 comments:
Amen! I didn't know your water heater went out! Mine hasn't gone out, but Spencer likes to turn it all the way down. That meant no hot water for Saturday night baths. Yikes! I hope your water heater gets fixed soon!
So true! There is a reason we are here at this time take advantage of the blessings although I would totally cross the plains with you I don't want too!
Those pictures are so awesome!!
Nothing like a good dose of reality to make us appreciate what we have, huh? Hope everyone is healthy now . . . including the hot water heater ;)
Post a Comment