The coolest part about the desert is that you can never truly appreciate it unless you have lived near it. Most people see dusty, dry, dirty dirt. Some may even wonder how you can even find beauty in such a harsh place. Especially when you are comparing it to places with lots of water and green like Oregon, Washington, or Georgia. They might question why you would want to work so hard to make plants live. But I think it is similar to the question Isaac asked me the other day. "Tera can't ya just wait until we are rich someday?"
As I thought about my answer I reflected on my visit to the desert. Why, yes, it is harder to grow things in Arizona. The seasons are different and even a bit shorter, the sun is intense, the ground rocky, and the critters scary, but what joy you can find in working so hard to make a strawberry plant produce one little strawberry. The same principle can be applied to being rich. Why, yes, it is harder to budget and plan for expenses being in the middle class, but what joy you can find in working hard to pay off a vehicle, have Christmas, or buy a bike. I am convinced that there is no way I could have a strong testimony of tithing if we were rich. How would we have seen our storehouse become full and our knowledge of self preservation increase if we had had the money to just buy it in full swoop? How would we have been so grateful if we would have never had to use our years supply to get us through a rough time? How could we have seen the Lord's hand in our life if we had not had extra side jobs to make ends meet?
Moral of the story: stay poor as long as you can stand it and watch an AZ sunset at least once a week!
4 comments:
I LOVE the desert as well. I always say it's prettier here in AZ than anywhere else. True, being poor helps you learn lots of things, but it would be so much more fun to be rich!
Fun post, Tera, and your moral made me laugh. Hope your kids feel better soon.
Cute pictures. Eloquent words.
what a great perspective - both on the desert and on being poor - thanks for sharing
Post a Comment