This past weekend we went to Pleasant Grove, Utah for the Larsen Family Reunion. This is my third time going since we have been married and I love meeting all of Isaac's family. The thrill partly comes from the sure sight of hundreds of people meeting up in one location and for the most part getting along and enjoying each others company. I think is simply incredible that Grandma and Grandpa's posterity includes 9 children, 40 grandchildren, and 102 great grandchildren!
I think it is especially awesome since I did not grow up even knowing what a cousin was. Many times I would use cousin-brother for a member that we did not quite know how he belonged, but other than that I knew of my mom, dad, grandma, aunt, uncle, brother, and sister. Occasionally, I would go to my mom's home town and my grandma would explain my relation to joe smoe. "This is your 3rd cousin, twice removed, married to so so who we have not seen in years, brother of your long lost grandfather."
To illustrate the fact even more clearly that a cousin was something of a very distant relative I will share a childhood memory. My family moved to Queen Creek when I was 8. I immediately became good friends with a neighbour girl who was my same age. We went to school and rode horses together. For over 2 years we were inseparable. One evening we were having a BBQ and my mom was mentioning a relative to Amber's mom. Come to find out we were related, 2nd cousins no less.
Then, on Thursday I get a call from Indiana, it is my aunt who I have not seen in 23 years. She hands me a file folder full of family history, with pictures and names including dates and places (guess what I have been doing for the past couple of days, familysearch.org). My aunt said "Well, after all these years I thought you might like to know some of your family history, especially being apart of that Mormon church and all. But boy you don't need my help you got kids comin out of the wood works."
Ha Ha just you wait auntie!
Then, on Thursday I get a call from Indiana, it is my aunt who I have not seen in 23 years. She hands me a file folder full of family history, with pictures and names including dates and places (guess what I have been doing for the past couple of days, familysearch.org). My aunt said "Well, after all these years I thought you might like to know some of your family history, especially being apart of that Mormon church and all. But boy you don't need my help you got kids comin out of the wood works."
Ha Ha just you wait auntie!
So, long story short, I love that I have a new big family that actually likes to see each other more than every 23 years or so.
3 comments:
looks like a super fun reunion! so glad you are part of the family! =)
looks like a blast, what a great reunion. I love all the fun pictures of your cute family.
love family reunions ;)
Post a Comment