I have very fond memories of my childhood and I realized the other day that I hope my kids get to experience all the neat things I got to do as a kid.
My parents built our ranch from the ground up. I remember many experiences working out on the property with my mom and dad. Our kids also enjoy working outside. They never miss a chance to ride the tractor, haul rock, feed the animals, load wood, or dig holes.
Growing up we always had baby animals. My children also enjoy the sight, touch, and feel of little baby animals.
I enjoyed riding horses when I was young. I would get home from school, jump on my horse and ride for hours out in the desert. Since all of our children were young they have been riding horses at Grammy's house. Autumn loves to ride horses. She has gotten so good at riding that now she not only rides at Grammy's, but she begs to rope and chase the calves.
Last time we were at my parents, my dad reminded me of how much time I used to spend riding the bucking barrels. It was a source of entertainment for my buddies and I. Now when we go down to the ranch Bruce jumps on the bucking barrels with Grandpa Frank.
I spent alot of my childhood going to rodeos all around the country with my mom. I remember getting to stand behind her as she would sign autographs. I loved going with my mom behind the chutes and watching her get ready to ride bulls. My kids have also get the opportunity to 'follow mom'. The kids bring their bikes to track practice and ride all around.
As a young adult I loved running and working out. Autumn with the companionship of her brother has found true love in running. She will ask to get out of the car to run to preschool or the house. She is getting really strong and can run a mile without stopping.
My dad was a professional cyclist and now competes in the Senior Olympics. As a child he would take me on fifty mile bike rides around the beach or around national parks. Autumn and Bruce have also found great joy in riding bikes. Autumn is so excited to ride her bike to school. Bruce is getting pretty close to being able to ride all by himself to the school.
2 comments:
Okay, you (and now your kids) are having such the idyllic midwest/cowboy childhood. I love it!
I love that your kids are so active and that they have so many opportunities . I think I need to make more opportunities for my girls.
Post a Comment