Saturday, June 20, 2009

National Park Day


Today we went to Walnut Canyon for National Free Park Day. The Mortenson's and Morriss' joined us for the 2ft wide, 250 step hike. The weather was gorgeous with minimal wind and cloud cover. The Indian ruins were truly amazing. We had a hard time imagining living on the side of a canyon but Indians really made the best of it. By the end of the loop we decided that the Mortenson's and us would need a mansion rock dwelling because our husband's were so tall and the caves were very small; we were not sure it these cost more or not??? We also decided that Isaac would hook up us with power for lights, Marty would run in some plumbing, Jeremy would engineer the furniture, Annette would decorate and can yucca, Jamie would cook using currant, oak leaves, and mormon tea, and I would make everybody's clothes. The moms decided that we would not teach our kids to walk until 8 because right out the front door was a cliff. The canyon really gave us an appreciation for the simple luxuries that we enjoy every second of our lives.
Today we received our first BOUNTIFUL Basket. The program is run strictly by volunteers and is offered to anyone who interested in saving money on healthy food. Our pick up is just down the road at the school so it more than convenient to drive down and pick up a laundry basket FULL of fruits and vegetables for $15. We also got a box of granny smith apples to can applesauce. Each week the basket is filled with a variety of fruits and vegetables. This week we recieved:
5 gala apples
1 head of lettuce
6 mango
1 bunch of grapes
1 cartoon of strawberries
8 tomatoes
5 bananas
1 bag potatoes
1 onion
8 plums
1 cantaloupe
130 granny smith apples
I was so impressed with the price and quality. If you are interested check out the site http://02b8ce3.netsolstores.com/.
Painting Painting and more Painting. This weekend we have been working on our living room. Just about finished. I am so excited to put pictures on the wall and to layoff of some of my help, or at least give them a vacation (it a messy hobby). No more frog green for us just lime Popsicle green and punch pink to go.


3 comments:

Sharon said...

Sounds you guys have the "consecrated" living all figured out - now if you can just find a free cliff to start dwelling on :)

I've heard about the Food Co-op, but I didn't realize they did one here in Flagstaff. Very cool - going to have to do more research on that.

janae said...

I love that family picture. So cute! Good luck with the living room!

Jamie said...

aw come on, a little cliff jumping never hurt anyone... jk... I don't think I would even let my kids learn to crawl if my front door was on a cliff face!