For the past 2 weeks we have been house/babysitting for a family in our old ward. The parents went to Europe for their 25th wedding anniversary. It felt like we were coming out of retirement. When Isaac and I were in school we would house/babysit at least once a month. When I sat down to think about it I counted 15 times that we have gotten the opportunity to be parents of 7, 5, 4, 3, and 2 children. It is the best opportunity to see what kind of dishwasher, sink, washer, dryer, patio, car, carpet, or layout you want for you dream house one day. We also get to implement different parenting styles and learn where every school, dance recital, basketball game, football game, homecoming parade, piano practice and recital is. I love getting to see how such awesome families with talented and bright kids live the gospel. Because I was not raised in the Church or had a big family I get the chance and responsibility to run a big family as if it was my own and see how family scripture study, family prayer and family home evening help families. I am so grateful for the prophets in giving this counsel to families to strengthen and unit them. I felt so comforted when we sent the kids off to school or practice that they had the tools they needed to combat evil. President Bednar quoted this from Doctrine and Covenants " Wherefore, be not weary in well doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small thinks proceedeth that which is great."
This particular family was no exception to the 'awesome, talented, and bright kids' rule. In just one family of three they play the drums, piano, guitar, and french horn. They play basketball, run cross country, play football, and dance. They are all straight A students and participate in Scouts and Achievement Days. They were also so kind to one another and very helpful to me. The kids treated Autumn and Bruce so well and made them laugh whenever they walked in the door. I think it took them a little while to get used to Autumn saying "whatcha doin?" Hence the "Sister Larsen she is breathing my air!" She would follow them wherever they went and took upon herself the task of knowing which one we needed to be picked up or dropped off. When we came to our own home she was so determined
to get one of the boys from football that evening, it was cute. I also learned alot about music and instrument identification. Every mourning on the way to seminary we would crank up the radio and try to identify what instruments they used in the song. You or maybe just I was very surprised at what was actually coming out of the radio.
Basketball game (Autumn took the picture)

Autumn hamming it up in her Superman costume

General Conference Projects

Wood
carving accident (which at the time was no smiling matter)
Thanks so much to Grandma Frost who saved the day
3 comments:
They are so lucky to have you guys - I can't believe you guys would do something so kind. Seriously, that is amazing!
Wow, you've been a busy mommy, no wonder you haven't had time to blog!
Oh my goodness! Alyssa looks so grown up! It's definitely a rowdy housee! Looks like you did a great job!
Post a Comment